Episiotomy rates in Greek population using the Robson classification system
More details
Hide details
Department of Midwifery, University of West Attica, Athens, Greece
Publication date: 2023-10-24
Corresponding author
Paraskevi Giaxi   

Department of Midwifery, University of West Attica, Athens, Greece
Eur J Midwifery 2023;7(Supplement 1):A101
Episiotomy during vaginal delivery may predispose to short- and long-term complications, such as postpartum bleeding and sexual dysfunction. The aim of this study was to determine episiotomy prevalence in Greece according to Robson classification.

Material and Methods:
In the sample analysis, we included the records of 8572 women giving birth (pregnancies ≥22 weeks and weights ≥500 g) in a private health facility in Greece, between January 1st of 2019 and December 31st of 2019. Data was obtained retrospectively from the digital medical records of the women.

Over 60% of deliveries during the study period were performed by cesarean section, 30.6% by vaginal delivery and 8.5% of deliveries were performed by operative vaginal delivery. The results of this study indicate that overall rates of episiotomy was 68.5%. Nulliparous women with no previous cesarean delivery, with a singleton in cephalic presentation ≥ 37 weeks with spontaneous labor (Group 1) had episiotomy in 77%. Furthermore, 58.6% of multiparous women (excluding previous CS) with a single cephalic term pregnancy in spontaneous labor underwent episiotomy.

Episiotomy is a very common obstetric intervention in Greece compared to other European countries and WHO recommendations. Prospective multicenter research would be useful to study further the prevalence of episiotomy in Greece and improve outcomes.

Journals System - logo
Scroll to top